How do I pick the right wardrobe?

What are some of the points I need to consider before choosing one? Should I opt for a fitted wardrobe or a freestanding one?

Before deciding on whether you want a fitted wardrobe, or a freestanding one, check for how much space you have in the room. If it’s a small space, you might want to opt for more compact wardrobes.

Secondly, the budget, of course. There are lots of styles you can choose from - along with the kind of plywood, the quality, the laminates or veneers you want, and also if you want sliding or swing door cabinets, etc.

The theme of the room where you want the wardrobe placed also matters - if it’s a kid’s room, the look of the wardrobe would be completely different, as compared to the master bedroom.

Most importantly, pay attention to your storage requirements. If you have a small home, you might need to utilise the wardrobe space efficiently to store all the clutter and things you don’t want to use regularly.

Fitted wardrobes are mostly custom-made. So, you get to choose the features, and also have it fit perfectly in the assigned space. It can be built to compliment the rest of the decor in the room. Just that, they are a little more expensive, and you will need an expert to fit them. Not to forget, if you decide to move to another home, you will not be able to take it along!

With freestanding wardrobes, these days, you have a lot of choices available in the market, in terms of styles and colours. And it’s the best choice if you love to keep rearranging your furniture from time to time. The pitfalls? You may not find a perfectly fitting freestanding wardrobe - there could always be some unutilised space behind or under the wardrobe, which might eventually accumulate a lot of dust. It is also difficult to add any lighting fixtures to such wardrobes.

Hope these points help!