How do I use dark colours in my home?

I love bold, dark colours, but am afraid to use them for my space. What if it ends up looking too dingy?

It’s important to choose brighter shades of dark colours. In simpler words, you should opt for ‘vibrant’ colours, rather than just dark ones. Here are a few points to remember:

1. An essential factor to note when you are using dark colours is to ensure that there is enough contrast to strike a balance. If your walls are painted in dark colours, then allow the accessories to be light in colour so that they stand out. The fabrics you use or the hard surfaces in the room can have different textures so that they pop out against the dark background. Look for a mix of colours or shapes. An unbalanced room will look cluttered.

2. When you are using dark colours, remember to choose the brighter shades because they are more enlivening. It is better to stay away from washed out colours as long as there isn’t any specific theme to go with it.

3. Many people love eclectic decorating, that is using a mixture of décor elements from different time periods, places, colours or styles to design their homes. Dark shades can be the right choice for such a décor because these colours tend to unify the various elements , lending the room a consistent and more interesting look. Your elements will be able to stand out appealingly.

4. Generally, patterns are used to give a bit of colour and drama to a room but when the dark shades are themselves the stars, too many patterns can be a bit jarring. You should take a decision on the number of patterns to be used depending upon the room and space.

Before you decide to get your home painted:

• Test your colour before painting. Choosing a colour based on a chart is not enough. Paint a small portion of your walls with sample paints of different colours. You will instantly know what to keep.
  • The use of multiple dark colours in a single room isn’t a great idea . Stick to one shade to keep your room elegant and to maintain the drama.