I am looking for some ways to get a room designed for my aged parents, but it should ensure comfort and functionality as well, help me with some tips to keep in mind

My parents will shift to my house very soon, I want to redo the guest bedroom in a way that it is comfortable for my aged parents.

Some things that can be incorporated to make life easier for the elderly:

Use attractive color schemes:
Elderly people tend to spend a lot of time in their bedrooms. Choose a color scheme that’ll keep up their mood and also help them differentiate between different sections of the room. Use warm or rich shades of brown, gold, orange and yellow ochre. You can also incorporate their favorite color if any.

Choose a bed that is of optimal height:
It is advisable to use a bed with the recommended height of 20 to 23 inches high from the floor till the top of the mattress so when they sit on the bed, their feet should rest on the ground without strain on the knee i.e. the knee should be at right angles to the floor. A handlebar to support them rise from the bed can be a good option too.

Use slip-resistant flooring:
The greatest injury risk to the elderly is an unnecessary fall which can cause serious complications. To avoid this, use anti-skid flooring materials such as laminates and wood. Another option is to go for carpeting the whole room.

Provide enough room for walking:
Avoid any furniture clutter. Place the wardrobes in one corner and keep minimal pieces of furniture such as side tables, a chest of drawers and a reading chair depending on their habits. Keep the areas clear where your parents have to walk up to the bed or walk to the washroom. Grip mats on the bathroom floor are also very helpful.

Let the sun come in:
Letting a good amount of sunlight into the room of elderly parents is vital for their good health. It keeps pathogens and molds away, also helpful for people with respiratory problems. Apart from natural lighting, ensure there is a good amount of artificial lightings like bedside lamps, dim night lamps, and white reading lights.

Add some greenery:
Green is a very soothing color and it’s good for the eyes. Nurturing plants and watching them grow is a proven mood enhancer. It builds hope and relieves stress. Plants like Aloe Vera, Snake Plant, English Ivy, and Peace Lily act as natural air purifiers while looking great indoors.

Within A Hand’s Reach:
Considering their age, make sure there are some things always within a hand’s reach. Use a convenient side table or drawer to keep things like medicines, water, a phone with emergency call buttons, some ready to eat snacks. Ensure drawer and door handles are knob type, so it is easy to operate.
Some other things to do can be personalizing their room with favourite family photographs, so they always have reason to cheer! Small changes such as installing handrails on both sides of the stairs, grab bars in the bathroom, flexible bathroom showers can aslo be incorporated.