I am thinking of refurbishing the floor of my home with some vibrant tiles. Some tips to keep in mind?

I am bored with the white floor in my apartment, I want to change the flooring with some tiles.

Excellent choice, I must say! Not only are they durable and easy to maintain, but they are available in a variety of colors, shapes, and materials. But yes, installing them correctly is very important… This is how the process should be ideally planned…

1. Plan and chalk out the areas that will have tiles installed and note down specifications like the grout lines and where the cuts will appear. You will have an idea about the number of tiles that need to be purchased and also of the measurements. You will also need to consider the wastage factor. Rule of thumb is to pre-order a few boxes (approx 10-12%) in advance to prepare for this and also keep some spare tiles for future if there is damage or cracks.

Most importantly, check that none of the tiles are damaged - it’s pretty easy to miss a nick or a scratch in a box!

1. The surface on which the tiles will be installed will serve as the foundation, and any fault in the foundation will have an impact on the flooring, so make sure the area is smooth and leveled. The installers will also take some part of the walls maybe 4-6 inches for installation, so make sure that is clean as well.

2. Once the order has been placed and the tiles have been delivered at your doorstep, you can start with a dry run before the final installation. Lay out the tiles and place the same kind together or according to your plan, allowing for a little creativity here and there. Ensure that the tile contractor handles the tiles carefully and lays them out according to your plan. If you like the way it looks, then tell the tile contractor to ahead.

3. Once the tiles have been set and the tile adhesive applied, the curing process will begin. The adhesive will harden in about 12-24 hours, after which the grout will be applied. Grout is used for sealing the joints between the tiles and works as a strengthener for the tiles. Always check the grout color before application because it should match the floor tiles. The grout will cure in about 24 hours. Post this, the contractor will cleanse them with a mild soap and water solution, and your newly tiled floor will be ready for use!

Hope this helps!