I want a workplace canteen that will keep my employees focused and happy. Some tips on how to do it

I want to refurbish my office canteen in a way that it will have a positive impact on my employees.

Here’s a look at some ways you can get a canteen you want:

Provide sufficient space for mobility
There should be enough space in the canteen area for employees and the staff serving food so that they can move around conveniently. If the area has too much furniture and countless appliances, it won’t serve any purpose. A well-organized and spacious service area at the food counter is also essential. There should be enough space for someone to move around with their food in hand.

Get appropriate furniture
Though it is necessary to have an adequate number of chairs and tables to accomodate as many employees aas possible, going for furniture that is flexible and can be easily moved about is the ideal choice. You may also provide sofas for your staff to sit and sip their hot cups of coffee or unconventional furniture like bean bags!

Provide adequate appliances
A good canteen area should have all the appliances that are required in the kitchen. A refrigerator to store food, a microwave to heat or cook food, coffee and water dispensers, and television screens for their entertainment. You could also have some soft music playing in the background for relaxation. There should be sufficient outlets for power to help employees charge their mobile phones and other gadgets!

Focus on the colors and lighting
Choosing pleasing colours and giving a theme to your canteen can make it even more exciting. Try to design your canteen with bright walls, interesting artwork, beautiful indoor plants and some vintage furniture to make it more lively. It will enable your employees to disconnect from their workspace for a while, and help them refresh their mind. Opt for natural light, as far as possible. Strategic lighting can help define the different uses of space. For example, bright lights in the communal tables area can be energizing, while softer lighting in lounge areas can create a more relaxing mood.

Dont forget the flooring
A slip-resistant and easy-to-maintain flooring is the right choice for your canteen. We recommend you to always go for flooring options that resist dirt accumulation and are easy to clean spillages.

Add an entertainment room
We also recommend you to add some elements of fun that will really help your employees to unwind for sometime. Install game tables or provide space for other fun and non-work related activities as it will also give your employees a chance to interact with each other at a personal level and build stronger relationships.

Make it interactive
Place a board on a section of wall, and ask your staff to write inspirational quotes or random thoughts that may urge anyone to think over. You may also display a list of health and safety guidelines, or post company policies for new employees and utilize the space as an office event notification forum to let your staff know what’s going on!