I want to make a pooja room in my house, but space is an issue, what can I do?

I want a dedicated and undisturbed space to perform my pooja rituals and meditate.

Here are some ways to incorporate a dedicated pooja space in your small home:

Assign a suitable corner
A common solution to having a pooja space in a small home is to choose a corner of the living area which is suitable. This is a versatile option since one can choose between different looks for the corner. Pictures or paintings can be hung high on the walls while idols can be placed on small tables and lamps or agarbatis can be lighted here. Carpets can be placed on the floor and minor corner shelves can be installed.

Behind closed doors
The most widely recommended pooja room design is the one which is behind closed doors. If there is a corner that can be sealed off with doors, this is highly recommended. It is the best possible pooja room design for a home since there is an enclosed space to accommodate more items, more compact for performing rituals and most of all, provides an exclusive space for indulging in religious and spiritual activities and is also ideal for meditation since there are no distractions. Sliding doors can act as a space saver.

The Holy wall
Where space is a constraint, an innovative solution for a pooja room is to get creative with the wall space. The first step is to choose an appropriate portion of a wall, preferably in the living area. Once this is done, it can be painted in a different colour or adorned with a wallpaper to set it apart from the rest of the house. The purpose of this is to mark the space for holiness and to exude the aura of a pooja room using colour contrast.

You can also use lighting to achieve this effect. You can also purchase small fixtures. Placing a mat or a small carpet in front of the area can complete the look of a pooja room.

Miniature wooden temple
Miniature wooden temples are extremely popular because they are compact and can be easily moved anywhere. Moving them is not a big task to do. They come in varying designs and sizes. These can be a simple, open temple or one with shelves. The wall space can be used to hang pictures while the shelf space can be used to place small idols and pooja items. They can be placed on any surface depending on their size.

Design it on a ledge
If you are really out of space, creating a prayer area by setting up your pooja articles on a ledge is a viable solution. Instead of having a display of curios or decorative items, you can arrange pictures or small idols in this space.

One also has to be careful about the placement of objects since ledges inside homes are usually quite narrow. If there are children in the home, it is strongly advised to choose objects that are not breakable and are intact if they fall off.