Open kitchen or closed which one is better? Which one should I go for?

I have shifted to a new house, I want to do up my kitchen but I am confused about what type it should be open or closed.

An open kitchen is a kitchen space that is not separate from other adjoining rooms within the house by interior walls. This idea promotes socializing during hosting and family time.
Let’s take a look at some of the defining characteristics of an open/closed kitchen and which one works the best for you!

1. Privacy
A closed kitchen mainly provides a differentiation of the various functional areas around the kitchen space i.e. dining area, living room.
There can be a variety of different sounds from the kitchen which are unavoidable during the prep, cooking and cleanup activities such as the sound of the grinder, the pressure cooker whistles, and the clatter of dishes, etc. Another possible reason is the usage of strong spices in Indian cuisines, which does emit a strong odor that easily travels around the kitchen space causing discomfort to the people around.

The Solution:
Installing the right ventilation set-up using windows, exhaust fans and electric chimneys above the gas burner can help smoke out the odor problem completely. Installing a sliding door can help with the issue of privacy to a large extent. Various other partitioning ideas such as plants, hanging kitchen accessories can help too.
Go for a service window large enough to serve an adjacent dining area next to it, if you do not want to consider breaking the partition wall between the kitchen and the dining area. A partly etched glass partition can serve as a good means to separate the kitchen and the living/dining room.

2. Sociability
Parents can keep a check on the kids; catch up with an interesting soap or a cricket match or simply interact with the family members while the daily supper routine is in progress.
The open kitchen opens up to the dining room and kitchen table, making it easier to serve food from the kitchen to the table. Besides, an open kitchen can be ideal when hosting, as guests can be entertained, served, the moment can be thoroughly enjoyed by the host and guest impartially. If you’re a regular at hosting brunches or dinner parties, then an open kitchen is the one for you. For those who want privacy, the plan to open the kitchen up should be reconsidered. If the sight of unfinished work or unsightly messes makes you uncomfortable, you should not go for an open kitchen.

3. Additional Storage
When we think of open kitchens, the thought that immediately comes to mind is the loss of storage space - Especially more so if a partition wall needs to be eliminated!

The Solution:
Consider a service window or a semi-cut partition in the kitchen wall adjoining the dining area. Kitchen cabinets can be installed along the partition, defining an open look and providing the necessary storage space. Or, you could make it a smart extension to your dining area!
Your open kitchen could be a natural extension of your living room if you simply extend the flooring. Bar stools, for instance, can match up with the wooden furniture theme used in the living room and make the kitchen appear in sync with the rest of the space.
Also, based on the activities you prefer to host in your house, it is wise to analyze both options thoroughly. The half wall, and the pass through window is an option which can provide a good opportunity to synchronise your well planned aesthetics from the living room right up to your kitchen!

If you are looking to get the right design for your kitchen, get in touch with one of Hipcouch’s experts today!