What colour combinations do I use for my living room?

I want to experiment with dark colours a bit. Some colour combinations I could use?

The living room is pretty much the face of your home - while it’s good to experiment, getting it wrong can prove to be an expensive affair! Choose colour combinations based on the kind of personality you’d like you home to have (yes, homes too have personalities!) If you are a social bee, and like having people over, you could opt for colours that are a little more zesty. If you are a homebody, you’d like to have a comforting ambiance in your living room, thereby choosing calming colours.

Here are some colours I’d suggest… Turquoise, for instance. It’s trending big time! It will add some personality to your living room and give a cosy vibe. Try to create a balance by using pale colours for flooring, and woodwork.You can use white on decor items.

Also trending is a grey coloured matt-finish paint. You can get sofas in same shade, use white for the ceiling and other decor items for a contrast.

If you like fun colours, go for orange in paintings, decor pieces, and cushions for a seasonal feel. Use red on the main wall to add some richness. Use softer tones like grey and brown for tables, couches or other accessories.This will balance out the colour scheme.

If you like pale shades, opt for them but make sure you do not go pale entirely.

Paint your walls in dark blue to balance out the lighter toned rugs, sofas, and paintings.

Use rugs which have different tones of the same colour for a lively touch.

Get a vintage style chair and burnt orange sofas for a hint of drama in your living room. You can also have some large cushions in different hues.

Using deep forest green shade will make your living room feel cool in summer and cosy in winter.You can add white, indigo, and pale colours for a soothing effect.

Use gold or pale yellow shades for a warming effect.Combine it with mid-century style furniture for a retro feel and grey shades to balance it out.

You can even go for block colours with a white base.

A turquoise sofa with yellow wall and a bright rug with simple furniture pieces in bright colours will make your living room look charming.

Before choosing the colour combinations, make sure you note the size of the room, as well as the kind of furniture and decor you intend to have. It’s important that the colours you choose compliment the other elements of your living room…

If you need any help in designing your house, our experts are the right people to contact!