Can I only have one kind of light in my room?

I want to change lightings for my living room and thinking of putting only one kind of light.

One of the most common mistakes that we make is by assuming that one kind of light is enough for a room to be lit properly, and that too through one or two sources. The correct approach, however, is to opt for layering of lights. Divide the available space into various sections and choose appropriate lighting. In case of a bedroom, the area near the bed should be a separate section whereas the area where the couch or dressing table is kept must be viewed upon separately when it comes to lighting. The bed area can have some dim lighting so that it is easier to sleep, there is moderate light needed on the area where the couch and other chairs are kept. Also, the dressing table should have a good amount of light.
Similarly, your living with a dining area could do well with separate type of lighting for both. Overhead lighting is often used for dining space and the living room as a whole gets a combination of concealed and surface lights, which also allow for more uniform lighting.