How do I choose the right kind of paint for my home?

There are so many different types! How do I know what’s best for my home?

There are basically two kinds of paints - oil-based and water-based. Oil-based ones have a glossy effect, and are easy to level, while water-based ones dry quickly and have low toxic emissions.

Choose the paint on the basis of the area you want painted.

Distempers can be used for areas hidden from public view, like attics, over-head shelves of your storage units, etc. Although considered durable for 4-5 years, distemper has low resistance to moisture and peels off easily when wet, thus making it non-washable. It is a water-based paint available in a variety of colours.

Emulsion is a quick drying, water-based paint, and offers a rich, matte finish. Unlike distemper, emulsion is relatively resistant to humidity, and washable to an extent. Emulsion can be applied to any surface, and when compared to oil-based paints, also releases less VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) thus making it less toxic.

Enamel paint is an oil-based paint, and provides a rich, glossy effect. It takes longer to dry, and is largely resistant to moisture and mildew. It is quite easy to clean and extremely durable. The most common form of enamel paint is oil paint - the typical shiny coat of paint often found on metallic surfaces and doorframes of older homes. Owing to its easy to clean characteristic, it is usually applied on walls of busy areas like passages, kitchens, etc.

Luster is a variant of enamel paint, but of better quality. It provides a pearl-like finish with a slight sheen, but not as glossy as oil paints. It has high resistance to moisture, fungus and mildew. It is best suited for rooms used for social gatherings and other busy areas, since it is easy to clean and has a smooth finish.

Texture paints are applied using rollers, putty knives, trowels and brushes, to create desired textured patterns on walls. These paints can be used for the ‘show walls’ in your home.

Cement paint is a water-based paint. It is mostly used as an exterior paint, owing to its durable nature. Since it prevents water penetration and is resilient to heat, it is often used on walls exposed to the elements, such as those in a patio, sun-deck, etc.

Hope this helps!