My living area is a bit compact... not too small, not too large either. I want some tips to arrange furniture in my living area so that it looks organised

My living area is all cluttered. Being a small space it is getting difficult to arrange things properly.

Begin by taking measurements of your room and visualize the flow of movement in your room.

Choose your furniture accordingly, by considering these points:

• Leave roughly 30 inches of space to walk around.
  • Place your sofas and chairs around 8 feet apart to facilitate easy conversations. Leave 14-18 inches of space between your sofa and coffee table so people can set down their drinks easily.
  • Consider for what purpose will you be using the room and how many people will be using it. Usually, urban living rooms are where the family sits around to watch TV and doubles up as a space for entertaining guests.
  • The room’s focal point may be the TV and the coffee table or a large French window. Place your furniture around the focal point.
  • Skip large entertainment centres and opt for slender consoles which leave space for free movement. The sofa should face the room’s focal point, such as the TV. Additional seating can be arranged around this.
  • For a small living area, consider creating two small seating areas instead of a large one, or a path where you can go around the seating area and not through it.
  • Go for furniture that is trim, fit and will suit your small spaces best. For eg, choose a sofa with a tightly upholstered back instead of one with multiple cushions.
  • Your furniture should not block your view of one area from the other. Try tables and chairs with slender profiles which will be comfortable without making it seem congested.
  • Go asymmetrical! Pair a sofa with a love-seat or a bean bag or two chairs of different heights. Facilitate conversation by angling your chairs toward each other instead of facing them straight ahead.
  • Use different variety in size of furniture pieces throughout the room, so your eyes move up and down as you scan the space. Place a large or tall item across another item of similar height, and not next to each other.
  • Use hammock chairs to add seating without taking up floor space. Oversized chairs can add that extra element of cosy in a room full of small objects.
  • Ottomans can be used in place of coffee tables. Buy ones with storage so they help you save space. They can also double up as extra seating. Use two tables or ottomans instead of one… they are easily moved when needed.
  • Use carpets or rugs to define a space, such as a central seating setup. Place all seating and tables on a large rug or a coffee table on a smaller one.
  • Attach bookshelves to the wall, mount the television or build a bench under a window.
  • Be innovative in using furniture for purposes other than what its meant for. Use a dining room sideboard to display collectables. Or use a vanity table as a compact laptop desk.
  • Buy furniture with hidden storage space. Look for tables with drawers and storage compartments under beds. You can stash things in these and avoid them lying around the house.